Sunday, January 25, 2015

Creating Recycled Pen Storage


      Ever find that you save things because you know that you can "re-use" or "re-purpose" it.  I do that all the time.  From  juice containers to cardboard boxes.   As I was cleaning my craft room  (actually, trying to find not only the top of the desk, but the floor), I found all these wonderful  empty powdered juice containers so I decided it was time to use them.

      As I've been unemployed for the last 8 months and buying pen storage was out of the question, I wanted to see if I could create storage (from my stash of crafting goodies) for my alcohol pens out of these containers and a cardboard box.  Time to expand my horizons and see if I could come up with fun storage that looks good on my desk.


  
 I started with a plain cardboard shipping box  about 6 X 12. Slightly askew, but in good shape and 10 juice containers that I cut  down about 1" so the pens would stick out of the container.
 
         The tubes were than added to a cardboard box with spacers glued between each tube  which I raised at a very slight angle so the pens won't fall out when you pull them out.  As you can see, I forgot to straighten and level the box, but as it was for  me and  I was playing and trying something new, it didn't matter if it was a bit crooked.




 
 Then I ran my favorite Graphic 45 paper "Typography" through the 5" Xyron Creative Station  to attach the papers to the box.  1/2" trims were created for the edges of the box using chip-board, the reverse side of the Typography Papers and  my Xyron 1.50 Create a Sticker and I added a set of Tim Holtz's metal feet to the bottom of the box.




After the glue dried on the feet, I created a facing for in between the containers.  Using a piece of plain white typing paper, I impressed the front of the box to determine placement of the containers. I then laid the outline on my G-45 papers and cutout the ovals and added that paper to the front of the box.

  

I cut out several of the designs from the  different Typography pages.  A coloring box, pens, inks, calligraphy nibs,  quotes and more. I ran
 the cuts through the  Xyron 2.5  and 150 so they could be attached as embellishments on the box.   Both sides of the box were decorated with one side full of quotes and the other side with writing utensils.   To finish it off, I  attached a #2 pencil to the top of the box.
 
                     


I also recycled several metal spice containers that I sprayed with gold paint and covered with  more Typography papers to make them look like books similar to those shown on this Graphic 45 Tutorial.  These became  holders for my Calligraphy, Journaling and Gel pens  and I am in the process of making several  more holders for tools, scissors, and whatever else I my need on the desk. 










I am very happy with how this recycling  project went and how great it looks sitting  on my desk and how much fun it was to create. Such a great way to start out the year with a clean craftroom and desk.
 Until we craft again!
 
Crafty Aunt Dee
 



Products used: Xyron 5" Creative Station, 2.5 Sticker Maker and 150 Sticker Maker, Graphic 45 Typography papers, Petaloo Flowers, Spectrum Noir Alcohol Ink Pens,  and Glossy Accents.






                                         
 

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazingly cool. What a great way to start the year, indeed! You are very crafty. Love this Copic holder.

    ReplyDelete