Monday, August 18, 2014

Personalized Thank You Notes

   Recently I've had several changes in my life with the hardest being the loss of my part-time job.  I worked for our local Curves.  Loved working there and our members are so fabulous. I miss seeing them everyday and hearing about their lives.  And, they always wanted to see what project I was working on, how my (Copperplate Calligraphy) classes were going and follow my progress.  Anyway, several members gave me goodbye gifts and I need to send thank you notes.  So of course, I don't buy cards, I make them.   

   During the past few years I've  had fun taking different classes for scrapbooking, card making, writing and lettering.  Lettering has become one of my favorite things to do, so I decided to make some thank you cards.

     I took a fun class called Mosaic Lettering at  my LSS "Stampadoodle and the Paper Café"  with my favorite instructor, Christy Schroeder.  The class gave us tips and techniques for turning different styles of lettering into Mosaic Lettering Art. 

    Using a block or Roman style of printing, I printed Thank You on graph paper.  Then I drew different shapes to fit around the letters I'd printed.  Now I had a design  to use for thank you cards.  As I wanted to be able to reuse my master design whenever I needed a card,  the next step was to use carbon paper (or just rub a pencil on the back of your master) and trace the words and shapes onto your card form.  Then you can color them in with  colored pencil, water colors, or markers for a unique thank you card.

     As I had 6 or 7 thank you notes to write, I  copied the master directly onto the card stock.  But I made one major mistake. I cut the design out smaller than the 5 X 7 card so it left a line about 1" from the top of the card. 



So I created a checkerboard design  across the top of the card, that makes the line a part of the design and completes the card.  I completed the note cards by coloring them in different colors.

    
 You can use Mosaic Lettering for any style of card, on a scrapbook page, even on an the matching envelope.  

Till we craft again.

Crafty Aunt Dee

    

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I missed this blog post! These are awesome, Dorina! And a very creative fix at the top of the card—so appropriate in style with the mosaic blocking! As always, very inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete